Friday, March 15, 2013

Scintilla Project: Lose Yourself In The Music

Prompt:  Talk about a time when you were driving and you sang in the car, all alone.  Why do you remember this song and that stretch of road?
 
Travelling to work along back country roads, hedgerows blurred and my mood darkened with each mile that passed.  Anger was building inside of me and it wasn't even 8.00 am.  Eminem's music blared from the speakers . . . . . my angry music, my therapy.
 
 
A particular song started and I instinctively cranked up the bass.  The wing mirror vibrated and I could feel the beat pounding in my chest.  I waited for that moment . . . the point where the beat overpowers you until you find yourself lost 'inside' the music, as though a part of it. 
 
Shouting along to the lyrics I felt a release.  My anger and frustration began to ebb away.  The day became lighter and brighter and my mood began to lift.  Still lost in the music I was surprised to find myself turning into the car park and coming to a stop in an empty space.  Placing the car in neutral I turned off the music and removed the key from the ignition. 
 
I smiled as I put on my HR face (my game face) and began walking towards the front door.  Thanks to my 'angry' music I was able to face another day.
 
The Scintilla Project

******

Last chance to enter my giveaway for an 8"x10" painting.  Click HERE for more details.

10 comments:

  1. Music is a great healer. I know this feeling. It can lift you up, it can alleviate stress, it can help vent away the dark days of frustration...it is in one word, awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Music is what gets us through life. I truly believe that. Every song is a memory to something. Even if it's a bad one. This made me smile. I'd love to know what song you were listening to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm too embarassed to admit which song it was, people would start wondering about me!

      Delete
  3. I love what you wrote about "angry music"! Music in a car is great therapy for sure. I love your photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Music - the cure-all for what ails you. I love the way you told and illustrated this story - I can feel that bass beat hitting and invading my chest cavity, letting it all go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha, years ago one time my mom came over to help me paint, and after a while she asked me what the heck I was listening to and I told her it was "angry young men music" ... Sometimes, you just have to :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, yes, yes! I know that feeling of loosing yourself in the music and I definitely know lots about putting the HR face on. That made me smile in recognition, in a from the trenches kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had this same experience before. Music can be so cathartic. Great image too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cathartic. I dug out that CD and played it today, it's funny how it didn't have the same effect on me as it did back then. Guess I don't need any 'angry' music right now, either that or I'm getting old.

      Delete