Tuesday, June 11, 2013

The View From My Couch

For those of you who were wondering . . . . . my foot operation went well last Thursday (other than blacking out on the nurse doing my IV line).


Since then I have alternated between being laid up on my bed or the living room couch.


You may be wondering what birds have to do with my foot op?
 

Well they've been keeping me company during my recovery.  I made sure I opened the blinds and positioned everything so that I could enjoy a piece of nature even while being holed up inside.


The chickadees have me fixated at the moment.  They keep singing and ruffling their feathers, so fun to watch.


I've been trying to learn the difference between the downy woodpeckers and the hairy woodpeckers.  We appear to have both but it can be quite the challenge to tell them apart.


I love the way the woodpeckers use their tails as a form of support.


The suet was a popular feasting area but my husband had to move it because the raccoons would eat it all at night.  With all that fat I'm sure they may be experiencing loose bowels for a while!


I haven't been getting on too well with my crutches and fell yesterday for the third time.  It was a particularly bad fall and I came down hard on my bad foot, bending my toe in the process.  I blacked out for a while before coming to and realizing that my toe was bleeding.
 

My husband (my hero) ended up coming home from work and taking me to the docs.  Thankfully I hadn't broken anything but I had mangled one of the toes that had been operated.  Even though the stitches had held it was gaping quite a bit.
 

The plan is to keep out of trouble, try walking on my foot more and then in a weeks time I'll be back at the docs to have the stitches out. 

 
I can't wait to be fully mobile again and to get out and about with my camera.

11 comments:

  1. i am sorry for your couch life, but oh, how wonderful these images are! hope recovery is soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I glad the procedure went well... I can't think of a better way to recover than witnessing this lovely parade of feathered friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathryn, you have such a great way with creating these images that really capture the beauty and the personalities of these birds. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane, they fascinate me and I try to capture that although I'm not always successful.

      Delete
  4. At least it's a road to recovery after the procedure going well ... get mobile soonly ... deep breaths and patience :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm so impatient, but most things seem to have their own time frame.

      Delete
  5. I had toe surgery in February and I found that crutches were just too hard for me to maneuver. If you had a walker with wheels (2 wheels worked best for me), then you could use it for support while gradually putting weight on your foot. You would not have to worry about falling. There are places, I'm sure, that you can rent walkers. I would highly recommend that instead of crutches so that you don't fall anymore and further damage the work you have had done.

    I thoroughly enjoyed your bird photos. This website describes the differences between a Downy and a Hairy Woodpecker.

    http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/AboutBirdsandFeeding/woodpeckerIDtable.htm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thinking of you on your road to recovery. Glad you have the birds to keep you company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The birds have been a great distraction and I'm feeling so much better today.

      Delete
  7. Oh, I want this couch, too :-)).
    Get well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wishing you well, I hope your foot recovers soon and you get to swim in the pool too and have some fun :)

    Awesome photos K. :) T.

    ReplyDelete