Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Going Ape

Ever had the urge to get out and just go somewhere?  That was how I felt this morning. 

 
It wasn't long before my mind was made up and I set off  towards Cincinnati Zoo.
 

Many of you know of my love for Chimpanzees and Gorillas so it's always a treat when I get the opportunity to observe them up close.


I spent ages watching this guy who was hanging out in the heat of the day.


There's something about their eyes that captivate me.  Looking into them it's as though you can see right into their soul.


Then there are times when you're reminded of their sheer size and strength.


The sweetheart above was trying some camouflage on for size.


I'm hard pressed to say which I love more, Gorillas or Chimpanzees . . . . .


. . . especially when they are as cute as these Bonobos.


The little guy was being subjected to quite a thorough going over.


No spot was left unchecked.


It would seem as though all that checking paid off.


Guess whatever it was mom found made a tasty snack.


The bonds these guys have are just amazing.


Chimpanzees and Gorilla's may be my favorite but I couldn't pass the orangutan without sharing the love.


They always make me giggle.


I mean who else could get away with making some brown paper look this good?


Just look at that goofy smile.


But they also have a serious, contemplative side.


I just love this fist pump.  I'm sure it was for my benefit!


Got to love an ape with attitude.

12 comments:

  1. LOL
    What wonderful shots!!!! OMG!!!!
    I totally understand about their "eyes".
    Again, spectacular shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great, they're so fascinating to watch aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Cool...NICE Photos!
    thanks for sharing all these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such special animals that share many human traits with us. Great shots Kathryn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post. I'm glad you listened to that whisper that said "go". I don't know that I have a fave animal outside dogs and cats. You captured some wonderful soulful expressions. Glad I was able to stop by today. Happy day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW these are fabulous. You got some great expressions too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome shots K. :)

    Going off to the zoo sounds like a fun thing to do and what inspiring creatures to hang out with :) T.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have captured such unique personalities and expressions. Love that paper bag hat on our friendly orangutan - so chic! :) Glad you enjoyed your zoo expedition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think the orangutan was trying to stay cool, it was such a fun day.

      Delete
  9. What incredible and adorable photos. They really do have such amazing expressions and you've captured them so well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder what that big gorilla was thinking about as he looked at you.
    Such a thoughtful expression.

    ReplyDelete