Saturday, September 21, 2013

Gladys

Those of you who have been following my blog for a while will know of my love for chimpanzees and gorilla's. 
 

So you can imagine how excited I was when I visited Cincinnati Zoo and got to see Gladys (the baby gorilla) with her surrogate mother M'Linzi for the first time.


Just look at that face, isn't it precious.  Their eyes just kill me, always so soulful.


She was originally born in Texas but her birth mother showed no maternal instincts so she was relocated to Cincinnati.  Staff at the zoo spent months working around the clock, teaching her some of the basics before introductions with the surrogate mother could take place.


It would seem that all that effort and hard work paid off because Gladys looks to be doing just fine.

.

8 comments:

  1. I see you are an animal lover, from frogs to chimpanzees to gorillas, smiles ~

    Happy to see the baby thriving with the surrogate mother ~ This reminds me of the baby elephant in China who cried real tears when separated from his birth mother, who almost killed him ~ Who says mother instincts are natural ~ Now the baby is a huge elephant in the zoo ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An animal lover for sure. I cry over road kill! I remember watching a program about a herd of elephants. One of the babies died and the mother didn't want to leave it, it was heartbreaking to watch her mourn the loss.

      Chimps and gorillas have a special place in my heart. I was bribed to swim with the promise of a stuffed toy monkey when I was around 5 years old and I've been in love with them ever since.

      Delete
  2. So gorgeous, gorillas are quite mesmerising aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! a story with an incredibly happy ending! And yes, they do have the most soulful expressions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just had to comment on this post. Love the photos and the story of Gladys (my mom's name, by the way). What a beautiful creature.

    ReplyDelete